Your Daily Life
- Visit the dentist at least twice a year.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once a day.
- Wear your mouth guard when playing sports.
- Protect your hearing at work, home, and concerts.
- Try to eat healthy foods.
- 5 fruits and vegetables a day
- 3 cups of low-fat milk, yogurt, or cheese
- Eating breakfast is very important.
- Drink plenty of water. Choose water instead of soda.
- Eat with your family often.
- Aim for 1 hour of vigorous physical activity every day.
- Try to limit watching TV, playing video games, or playing on the computer to 2 hours a day (outside of homework time).
- Be proud of yourself when you do something good.
Healthy Behavior Choices
- Talk with your parents about your values and expectations for drinking, drug use, tobacco use, driving, and sex.
- Talk with your parents when you need support or help in making healthy decisions about sex.
- Find safe activities at school and in the community.
- Make healthy decisions about sex, tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs.
- Follow your family’s rules.
Violence and Injuries
- Do not drink and drive or ride in a vehicle with someone who has been using drugs or alcohol.
- If you feel unsafe driving or riding with someone, call someone you trust to drive you.
- Support friends who choose not to use tobacco, alcohol, drugs, steroids, or diet pills.
- Insist that seat belts be used by everyone.
- Always be a safe and cautious driver.
- Limit the number of friends in the car, nighttime driving, and distractions.
- Never allow physical harm of yourself or others at home or school.
- Learn how to deal with conflict without using violence.
- Understand that healthy dating relationships are built on respect and that saying “no” is OK.
- Fighting and carrying weapons can be dangerous.
- Talk with your parents about your hopes and concerns.
- Figure out healthy ways to deal with stress.
- Look for ways you can help out at home.
- Develop ways to solve problems and make good decisions.
- It’s important for you to have accurate information about sexuality, your physical development, and your sexual feelings. Please ask me if you have any questions.
School and Friends
- Set high goals for yourself in school, your future, and other activities.
- Read often.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Find new activities you enjoy.
- Consider volunteering and helping others in the community with an issue that interests or concerns you.
- Be a part of positive after-school activities and sports.
- Form healthy friendships and find fun, safe things to do with friends.
- Spend time with your family and help at home.
- Take responsibility for getting your homework done and getting to school or work on time.