ImPACT Concussion Clinic in Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park
What is ImPACT Testing?
- ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) is an FDA-approved test we use in our clinic to assist in management of concussions.
- It is computer based and set up similar to a video game, taking a total of 25-30 minutes to complete.
- It provides an objective tool to help assess patient recovery and readiness for return to activity.
- It evaluates memory, attention span, visual and verbal problem solving.
Who should be tested?
- Testing is for patients who are 12 years and older.
- Baseline testing (prior to injury) should be done for all athletes in the preseason. Repeat baseline should be done every two years.
- If a concussion occurs, or you are worried your child may have a concussion, we will repeat testing in addition to a full evaluation of the patient. Repeat/post-injury testing will be compared to the baseline results and help us manage the concussion.
- All children should be evaluated by a medical professional for a concussion, even if they do not have baseline testing.
What is a concussion?
- A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury that is caused from a bump, bolt, or jolt to the head.
- Some symptoms appear immediately, while others take hours or days to appear.
- 80% of concussions resolve within 2-3weeks of injury
- Children and adolescence are more susceptible to concussions due to brain development.
What are the symptoms of a concussion?
- Concussion symptoms fall into a few categories:
- Physical: headaches, nausea, sensitivity to light and noises
- Mental: feeling groggy/slowed down, difficulty concentrating, fatigue
- Emotional: anxiety, irritability, sadness
- Sleep: trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep, sleeping more than usual
- If you think your child has a concussion, you should seek prompt medical evaluation.
- It is important to remember that some head injuries should be evaluated in the emergency room. If your child has loss of consciousness, severe head pain, vomiting, slurred speech, weakness, seizure-like activity, difficulty with coordination, or increased drowsiness you should call 911 or report to the emergency room.
How do I make an appointment?
- Please call the office for more information at (708) 424-7600. Baseline testing is $50 out -of-pocket cost and is not billable to the insurance.
- Once your child is diagnosed with a concussion, we will establish an individual plan to help safely return your child to school and activity. This plan will include physical and mental rest in addition to behavioral modifications