While proper nutrition has always been important to children’s health and development, it’s becoming more and more critical.
According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) in 2015-2016, the obesity rate in children aged 2–5 years was 13.9%, in ages 6–11 years the rate was 18.4%, and in adolescents aged 12–19 years the rate was 20.6%. For children, being overweight can affect their psychological health too.
Weight and poor nutrition are the main risk factors for developing chronic conditions like diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer. These conditions can be prevented, reversed, or alleviated through nutrition intervention.
Alzein Pediatrics is here to help children and their parents understand the importance of nutrition in wellbeing and guide them towards a positive relationship with food. A healthy diet helps your child:
- Encourage brain and neurological development
- Develop strong muscles and connective tissues
- Fight off infections
- Lower risk of breaking bones – and help heal them faster if they do
- Help wounds heal faster and promotes healthy skin
- Reduce the risk of developing chronic conditions
Nutrition appointments with our registered Dietitian and licensed Nutritionist Anna Velazquez can be made in-person or via telehealth on your smartphone, tablet or computer. We can discuss nutrition services for:
- Children experiencing under or overnutrition
- Questions about transitioning babies to solid food
- Ways to expand the diets of picky eaters
- Food allergies and food intolerances
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Metabolic abnormalities
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Digestion and metabolism
- Chronic disease prevention
- Exercise science
Anna and Alzein Pediatrics are also available to help your family with meal planning. You’ll learn:
- Simple fundamental nutrition lessons
- Planning and shopping for your unique budget
- Portion sizing
- Reliable basic recipes with your family’s taste preferences in mind
- Meal preparation for your family’s timetable
Visit our EVENTS page, register for our email newsletters or follow us on social media to discover our Nutrition Virtual Workshops and Cooking Classes. They are fun for the whole family, will help kids try new foods and understand the importance of nutrition.
For more information about the topics below, please click the links.